I Lost My NSW Driving Licence – What Do I Do?

Lost Licence

So you just lost your New South Wales driving licence. While there are no penalties (so far) for driving while your licence hasn’t been replaced, in cases where you’re pulled over by the authorities, having it can spare you a lot of hassle. Additionally, it can serve as a useful proof of identity for different purposes, such as applying for other licences, or certificates such as marriage or birth.

The good news is that replacing your NSW driver’s licence is really easy. After applying for your licence, Roads and Maritime will have kept a record of your application; it’s just a matter of requesting it, and bringing the pertinent documents.

Take note that your application will not be considered valid if your licence:

  • Has expired for more than five years.
  • Is a temporary or paper licence.
  • Is currently suspended, or currently serving penalties for riding/driving offences.

Whether or not you’re in NSW, you can request a replacement in person, online, or via photo-kit.

Applying in Person

To request for a replacement licence in person, you may visit any Roads and Maritime Services centre within the area. Make sure to bring the following with you:

After turning in the requirements and paying the fee, your photo will be taken—this is going to be your updated driver’s licence photo. Depending on where you requested your replacement, your licence may either be mailed to you, or given over the counter. If the replacement is to be mailed to you, a temporary paper licence will be issued.

Applying Online

If you want to file a replacement online, you’ll need a MyServiceNSW account, which you can open here: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/node/78091. Registration is really easy; just enter your email address and password. Once you’ve opened your account, you can then add personal information, and link it to Roads and Maritime Services. From here, do the following:

  1. Enter the details of your replacement.
  2. Answer the declaration questions shown on screen.
  3. Submit the declaration after reviewing your information, then confirm replacement details.
  4. Enter payment details. When applying online, MasterCard, Visa, or American Express credit/debit cards are accepted. Alternatively, you can make use of the Android Pay app.

Once done, you will be issued with a receipt and a temporary paper licence, which you can make use of until your replacement licence is mailed to you.


The photo-kit is for those who are temporarily residing in another state, or abroad. If you’re currently not in NSW, and want to request a replacement for your driver’s licence, you can mail a filled-in interstate photo-kit: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45070794-photo-kit-nsw-licensee-temp-interstate.pdf; or an overseas photo-kit: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45070563-photo-kit-nsw-licensee-temp-overseas.pdf. Take note that to avail of an NSW replacement, you must not have exceeded three months in the state or country you are currently residing in.

(90 Posts)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *